January 03, 2011

home {made} mobile

It's Monday! Hope everyone had a great weekend and New Years! I can't believe how time is flying. I feel like I'm on a huge merry-go-round and no one will let me off. Oh well.
Today I'll show you how to make this! I'm pretty particular about how little E's room is going to look, so I knew that I would have to make the mobile for her crib because I knew I would never find anything to match the theme.
 My awesome sister in law was great enough to give me the mobile off her son's crib who has now outgrown it. I needed the plastic pieces and even though the mobile was cute, it was all boy. I used the original pieces as a pattern. I measured out the fabric for the piece that would go over the mobile stand.
It curves out at the bottom to allow room for the bend in the plastic. The original fabric piece was actually longer than the piece I cut because the original piece allowed for a lot of bunching on the stand. I didn't want it to do that much so I cut it shorter. I also cute the piece on the fold which is important. I finished the ends of the piece and then I folded and sewed right side together using 1/4 inch seam and then flipped it right side out.
 It slid right over the stand and fit perfectly.
 For the next part I used the original cover of the mobile for a pattern. Sorry I didn't get a picture. I actually just used one square piece of fabric a little larger than the original piece to allow for the ruffle seam. I cut 4 strips of gray suede leftover from this project and matching this project about twice as long as the square sides. I then used a basting stitch and gathered them in, pulling the bobbin thread.
 I then pinned them to the sides and sewed them down.
 For the back of the square piece I cut out four triangles matching the corners of the square and pinned them to each corner creating a little pocket. The mobile legs will go in each pocket.
 I also sewed the ribbon I wanted for the mobile into the seam and the triangle pieces when I did a top stitch over the top of the square. It looks like crap a little rough when you flip it over but no one will see that so you're good. ;)
For the mobile pieces I wanted little birds so I free handed a pattern out of felt, cutting two pieces. I cut little wings that are petal shaped out of leftover fleece.
 Sew each wing where you want it to each of the two pieces. I sewed it right at the top so it would be able to move and appear to be 'flying' when it was stuffed. You could use any pattern you want.
 Then take your two pieces and pin them together with the ribbon inset and top stitch. I also put a feather in the back and top stitched over it.  Leave a little hole at the bottom and stuff. I used scrap pieces I had laying around to fill them. Then just top stitch over the opening.

 For the middle I tied a ribbon to the center of the mobile and glued rattan balls and feathers to give it a fun look. We did have a cat about three days ago and it only took her 2 minutes to sneak into the nursery and have feathers all over the place. I had to replace the feathers on the balls. The cat is now being 'babysat' permanently at our friends. :) At least till the baby is a bit older.

 Step back and admire! My friend recently visited and saw the nursery and said the mobile was 'very me'. I decided to take that as a compliment. :)
Let me know if you have any questions and what you think!! I'd love to hear from you! Comments (and followers) are most welcome. Happy Monday!
 
Linking to THESE PARTIES this week!


Photobucket

36 comments:

jhjonze said...

Um holy cow that is cute! I got the hoodie at The Children's Place, my absolute favorite. I almost died when I saw it. Anyway.

Wendy said...

this is SO cute!

AttemptingAloha said...

Nice makeover! My children were all deprived and didn't have mobiles, but that's mostly because they were all SO HIDEOUS. This one is definitely swoon-worthy!

Aloha,
charlie

Ruth H. said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, the other day. I've just had some fun looking at yours! My goodness, that mobile is darling. I have an expectant sis-in-law that would love it!

Jayna Rae said...

This would be perfect for my friends nursery. I will have to send her your way.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to see what else you do as this project was so cute!!

Thanks for linking up so I could find you!

melissa

Anonymous said...

Okay, you had me at parasite. The minute I read that it was all over. I just headed straight to that friend patch and added myself. Plus I am going to share you with my friends....

CraftyBrit said...

SO cute! Absolutely love it!

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

Get out of here with your amazingness!! This is adorable!

Dacia said...

Thanks for the blog visit and follow. You have a super cute blog. I can tell your baby nursery is just darling because this mobil is soooo cute! I'm your newest follower :)

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Wow, so pretty! I am definitely bookmarking this for the next little girl who comes along in my life.

Megan said...

Adorable! Looks great!

maleahbliss said...

Oh this is so cute!! Awesome re-do! :) I'm sure your baby girl will spend hours staring at it.

I'd love for you to link this up to my linky party!
littleEme.blogspot.com

Chelsea said...

I love the creativity! It turned out so cute! Good job! Thanks for stopping by Creative Mommas!
www.acreativemomma.blogspot.com

Fowl Single File said...

It's adorable and so special and unique! What a lucky baby!

chris said...

Lovely. I'm sure she'll enjoy gazing at it!

Stacy Risenmay said...

I am so in love!!!! That is wonderful! I have made all my baby's mobiles. I can never find one that fit my theme that I like. I am going to feature this tomorrow!

Amanda Dale said...

So lovely! Fantastic job!

Tara said...

Beautiful Job! I love it! Thanks for linking up at Trendy Treehouse!

Tara said...

Beautiful Job! I love it! Thanks for linking up at Trendy Treehouse!

Crafts a la Mode said...

Wow. Thanks for showing how to make the mobile. It's amazing what people can make and then they teach it here on the blogs. Thanks so much. Linda

maleahbliss said...

Thanks so much for linking up! It is a beautiful mobile! :)

I hope you'll stop by Tute {Yourself} Tuesday again next week!

. said...

It's just absolutely adorable!!! You did a great job! :)

Randi~Dukes and Duchesses said...

That is absolutely precious. I love the soft colors.

KimMalk said...

What a cute mobile. I really like the idea of using birds with feathers. I think your daughter will be delighted.

Quiltstory said...

I just love how this turned out!!! So cute, I really am loving the colors and that soft pink is perfect!

AllieMakes! said...

So sweet! The nursery is really coming along! And it is beautiful!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

I heart this. I just LOVE the birds. So Sweet!

Just Another Day in Paradise

Jen said...

Thanks for linking up to my party. This is beautiful, you did such a great job on it!

Rebecca said...

Wow, what a great project. I love the overall look. Very nicely done!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! I'm linking to your post in my "favorite finds" tomorrow. Can't wait to see the rest of your nursery transformation!

Elizabeth said...

Love the birds! So sweet. Would love for you to come visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made With Love Monday! The party will be open all week if you'd like to link up multiple projects. Have a great day! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

Megan Gunyan said...

That's just beautiful. Great job.

Kara said...

That is so adorable! Love the ruffles and the cute little birds. Thanks for linking up! :)

Sachiko said...

This is so pretty! You are one creative girl!

BopBop said...

this is awesome! I am planning to basically do the same thing and re-purpose an old mobile. Just trying to find one!
I wasn't sure on the fabricy bits though so this is very helpful! Thanks so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...