November 23, 2010

personalized {stockings}

Photobucket
I finally got around to making these as I've had this idea for a while now, and since there is a torrential blizzard outside right now I have no more excuses. I found the great muslin for 25% off at Joann's. I found the hounds tooth for $1.50 a yard at Walmart so I bought a bunch since I have other plans for it too. The tulle and felt I had on hand. Even though this was SUCH a simple project, my ocd kicked in after the first stocking, so I have yet to complete the other two. Also, do you know how weird it is to make a stocking for yourself as 'mom' when you never have been one up to this point? Yea. Weird.
Photobucket
The first thing I did was find a stocking in storage that my hubby and I had bought at the dollar store last year, cuz that's how we roll. Nice and cheap. I cut the muslin around the stocking just a little larger in order to allow for a seam.
Photobucket
I then used the muslin cutout as the pattern for the next two. I only needed three stockings, so I probably used about 1/2 yard on them. I did buy more muslin, because our family might *possibly* be bigger in the future.
Photobucket
The muslin stockings were about 8 inches wide, so I cut the hounds tooth into a strip about 4" by 15" long.
Photobucket
I put a basting stitch on both sides of the strip and gathered it loosely, then pinned it to the top of one side of the stocking.
Photobucket
I cut a small strip of tulle- about 20 inches long. When you sew the tulle will typically gather itself if your strip is only about an inch wide which mine was. I put that under the hounds tooth and then re pinned, because I was pretty much just making this up as I went along. All I knew was that I wanted muslin stockings, so...yea.
Photobucket
Sew your pieces down. Then pat yourself on the back. Then continue.
Photobucket
I cut a strip of felt about 9" long and 1" wide. I placed it over the seam and sewed lines into the felt so it would get that cute stitched look. At least that was the intention.
Photobucket
At first I was going to the back the exact same, but then I thought, "How cute would it be to do a pocket for notes from Santa on Christmas night?" See I don't need kids yet to still be a total five year old sometimes. It could also be a note from Mom and Dad if you've got some 'non-believers' in your home. ;)
Photobucket
I sewed a line across the top of the piece of felt I cut out then pinned the felt to the muslin.
Photobucket
I then stitched the other three sides with the machine.
Photobucket
I wanted to personalize the stockings so I attempted to make stencils from a font I liked on word. After I realized how dang long that would take that it would be better to just free hand cut them, I did so. I then pinned down the letters where they looked best on the stocking.
Photobucket
I stitched over each letter carefully and called it good.
Photobucket
Then at the top of each stocking side I folded it over and did a quick seam to finish them.
Photobucket
Then I put wrong sides together and sewed the two sides.
Photobucket
Trim any excess so that the sides are smooth when it's flipped.
Photobucket
I made a quick strip out of felt, looped it and then pinned it over the side seam.
Photobucket
Then I just sewed it down over the seam.
Photobucket
Flip it out and voila! You're done! I would have finished the other two, but I didn't. Apparently facebook was way more appealing than sewing. Don't worry, they'll be done shortly. Probably.
Photobucket
Note from Santa!
Photobucket
My parents used to leave us a 'note' by the cookie plate, I mean, SANTA used to leave us a note and we loved it as kids. How fun to have your own!
Photobucket
Happy sewing! Let me know if you have any questions, and if you like it! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

Beansieleigh said...

So CUTE!!.. And I love the idea for a pocket for Santa to leave notes in!!... Wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving! ~tina

Stacie said...

Those turned out stinkin' CuTe!! LoVe the tulle! Great JoB!!

Wendy said...

This is such a nice stocking! If only I had time to make some inbetween the christmas presents...

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

This is darling! I love the houndstooth in green! One tip on cutting out the letters- print out the font on a sheet of regular computer paper. Pin it to the fabric you're cutting the letters out of (in your case felt) use a LOT of pins. Then use your scissors to cut out the letters. It's way easier than trying to stencil, or trace onto felt!

Unknown said...

This is so adorable, thanks so much for sharing! I especially love the felt letters and pocket on the back. I had no idea Walmart had houndstooth, will check that out next time I'm there... thanks for the tip!

Off to be consumed by facebook as well... ;)
-Ann Marie

Unknown said...

Love these stockings. Especially the pocket! I am featuring these at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "Featured" button.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...