March 25, 2011

point of {view} SKIRTS!



So excited to show this month's projects!





#1- A terrific child skirt  from Amy at Ameroonie Designs
#2- A great bed skirt and pocket organizer from Michelle at A Little Tipsy
#3- A detachable coat skirt from Camilla at Rosy Red Buttons (me!)
#4- A fun A-line skirt from Stacy at Not JUST a Housewife
#5- A darling spring skirt from Gwen at Gwenny Penny
#6- A oh so cute ruffled skirt from Jonie at Just Between Friends

Such a great set of projects! Check out the links for tutorials!
My project this month was a Detachable Coat Skirt.
Originally I was going to say my inspiration was a tree skirt since you can change it out, but since that pretty much makes as much sense as Darth Vader ballet dancing, I'll just say my inspiration was this picture of a coat I found on the Internet about two minutes ago: 
I guess it's almost true, since I have seen some pretty coats. Yea. So cool. I've loved the fancy coats I've been seeing around but did not have the large financial budget necessary to purchase one. I also wanted one that was still versatile and could be un- fancy if needed. So I thought, what makes a girl fancy? A skirt. What could make a coat fancy? A skirt. Such deductive logic.
So I set out to make a detachable skirt for my coat that's now a little over three years old and I wanted to spruce it up. (You know what my biggest pet peeve is? An uncalibrated lens that makes photos fuzzy...) Anyways, I measured the hem of the coat to know how wide the skirt would need to be. Then I measured on my own leg where I wanted it to hit so I knew how long it would need to be.


I cut the strips twice as long as I wanted it to hit. I just did a black broadcloth, but any fabric you want will work. I also have some grey and white toille I plan on making for this as well. I folded them in half and then seamed the edge. I seamed the ends and then began to pleat the strips.
I would have done the same with some lace material I got on clearance from Walmart. However I just folded it in half like I did with the first but instead of pleating it, I folded it over the black strips.
Occasionally I'd also glance at my daughter and feel a little guilty the blanket was feeding her. For a second. It passed.

Then I sewed the two on top of each other. I began to hand sew some hooks to the inside of the coat, and some eyes to the 'skirt'.


And voila. A removable skirt for your coat. And super easy! It's great this way too because I didn't have to worry about sewing through the thick wool of my peacoat, and I can interchange with other frill skirts like the grey toille one I plan to make. Some day.
 

I am a model...you know what I mean? Ha ha NOT.  I also added a detachable rosette made from the same lace- just folded a strip in half, baste stitched, and then gathered it. Then I wrapped it in a rosette sort of shape and glued it to a felt back. Since I didn't have a broach pin to glue it onto, I glued it to a safety pin. I'm cool like that.

 Know what else was detachable? My wedding train. I designed it that way... apparently I just love hooks and eyes... ;)

Happy Friday!

Now it's your turn. The link party this month will be hosted at Not JUST a Housewife here! Go link up your skirt projects- they can be past projects as well! Then come check out all the blogs to see if you have been featured!

11 comments:

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

Love it Camilla! What a great idea to dress up a coat. :) And I love that you can change it out- Awesome!
xoxo,
Amy

Unknown said...

Super cute! I have a few jackets I could spruce up. I bet the gray will be awesome too! I am all about versatility!!

Jonie Marie said...

This is a genious idea! I love the versatility. And the picture of your little one peaking out is darling :)

Stacy Risenmay said...

I seriously LOVE this!!! I never in a million years would have thought to do this. You put mu poor sad pleats to shame....

Tene Olsen said...

Wow, wow and WOW! The talent just seeps out of your finger tips. I have some short jacket shirts that I would like to do this to. Even though I love, love, love this; your little one takes the whole thing! She is so squeezable!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Really amazing idea, Camilla. I've never seen anything like this. It really dresses it up, and I love that it's easy to take off and put back on.

Natalia Lynn said...

This is such a great idea. I have an old coat I hardly wear I would love to try this on. Thanks for sharing!

Elizabeth said...

Love this! SO versatile!

Anonymous said...

What a smart idea! I love that you can take it on and off!

and sometimes when I am in "craft mode" my daughter gets blanket fed too.

DIY Crush Blog said...

Awesome tutorial! Come and link this up every Wednesday on my linky!

Alison said...

Wow! That is such a GREAT idea!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...