October 26, 2010

my favorite things board

Remember this project? Well because I'm OCD I was a little concerned about the childishness in the office I decided to redo my redo. We repainted the kitchen, (pics later) and decided the old decor had to go, which was fine since I paid a whopping $5 for it. We also wanted the space to be a little more functional, and I had seen a lot of menu boards, message boards, photo boards and calender boards I had liked around. So I figured the best thing to do would be to combine all my favorite elements into one thing. Of course.

This is my favorite things board! Spaces for notes, weekly menu, calender, and all the announcements/notes/pic I get sent!Also, in case you cared, the rosettes match this project.

I started by spray painting the frame. I covered it in paper from my home printer, so needless to say there were gaps and the mist in the air got them. A little rubbing alcohol took the paint off so if it happens to you don't fret. Or you could actually take the time to tape and cover the board. If you're cool like that. I then distressed it a little. Finally I cut a piece of fabric I had on hand to the size I wanted on the board.
I carefully glued the edges and pushed them into the frame, then the middle, then the final edge on the board.

I trimmed it with grosgrain ribbon. After gluing it down I measured where I wanted everything else. My calender measure 17.5" by 14.5"- giving me 2.5" inches per square and a 2" space at the top.
If you haven't seen rosettes made out of fabric, I'm not sure where you've been. It's ok, we still love you. Typically I hand stitch these if they go on fabric but because I'm lazy inventive I just hot glued them where the stitch would be. Then I put a button in the middle of each one and glued them to the corner.
I couldn't find my ribbon so I just used yarn. It worked just fine, just crisscross where you want them to hold the pictures and glue each end under the frame trim or ribbon trim to hide it.

If you have a cricut, I'm sure you'd make this all cute with vinyl. I don't, so I didn't. Handwritten looks ok too. :)
These bad boys are the bomb. Use permanent markers for anything you don't want to wipe off easily. They do come off with rubbing alcohol, so don't fret.
I marked out where I wanted my calender to be and then traced the level. Don't tell my husband I got black permanent marker all on the side of his level.

And since we all LOVE trying to find markers, I decided to just attach it to the darn thing. Use some glue.
Then use some more. Voila.
I pretty much love it. Happy Wednesday!

two {down}!

So I'm officially into the third trimester...hallelujah!! Besides not being able to sleep and feeling a lot like death, things are great! lol. No, I really do feel so blessed and grateful to be at this point and to dream about what our little button will look like. If she'll have dark hair, who she'll take after. I can't wait!

In the meantime, I have been doing A TON of projects in the home which I am super excited about. Here are some glimpses, and I'll blog more about the how tos later!

My favorite one of the nursery so far- hand painted murals. Except they won't go above the crib...just seeing how they'd look! And I'll also tell you how to do the board and batten look for super cheap.
My $1.00 salvation army find...spray painted of course.
My first recovery project. And I painted it.
New pillows? Yes please.
These are everywhere on blog land, but you can make your own hurricane for dirt cheap. This one cost me $0.45. Not kidding.
Sorry about the flash, cuz my wall is not orange. Some fall decor! (Those vases were .35 cents a piece...glass but spray painted black)
More dollar store fall decor! Not the painting. That for sure cost more than a dollar. :)

My first curtains attempt. This is part of a much larger project for door and window. Again sorry for the flash at night. And we're missing plate covers for the switches, we just painted. I'm loving the new color!

So excited for the projects coming up, including restoring a nightstand and dresser, making curtains for french doors, another table runner for the dining room, dish towels, Little Button's blessing dress, some blankets, some....

...You can just call me nesting. :) Happy Tuesday!

October 17, 2010

new curtains

I made these beauties out of broadcloth and some fabric I had around from another project. Total cost was around $10. It was my first curtains attempt, and I winged it, so make sure you don't look terribly close. I needed to design the long curtains so they wouldn't get caught in the door but would cover the windows when the sun came in during the afternoon. I love the bright colors in the kitchen though! (oh and excuse the dust, mess, and random tile saw in the corner. We have been doing last minute finishes on our town home basement and we are both. very. ready. for. it. to. be. done.)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...